Vitamin D3 400 IU (10 mcg) (Item #832)
Recently, vitamin D deficiency has been referred to as the silent epidemic. It is estimated that 40% of the population over the age of 50 has a deficiency in this nutrient. Vitamin D helps maintain healthy bones by stimulating the absorption of calcium in the body. Without vitamin D, the body is unable to utilize the calcium supplied via the diet or supplements. The body has the ability to make vitamin D when the skin is exposed to sunlight. Therefore, it is recommended that people living in northern latitudes or not exposed to the sunlight should supplement with vitamin D. In addition, research shows that the use of sunscreens also limits the body's ability to make vitamin D from sunlight. A study of women in Bangor, Maine showed a loss of 3% of their bone mass during the winter. This loss of bone mass was related to a decrease in their vitamin D levels. Even though the RDA is set at 600 IU, many experts recommend 1000 IU, especially for those at risk for deficiency such as the elderly, night shift workers, and those living in the northern latitudes.
- 1 bovine softgel provides 400 IU (10 mcg) Vitamin D3
- Provides a stand alone item to add to any multivitamin or calcium product.
- Is derived from fish liver oil.
- Supports calcium absorption.
- CONTAINS NO artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives; no wheat, gluten, milk, eggs, peanuts, sesame, tree nuts or crustacean shellfish