Prenatal With DHA (Item #573)
Health officials suggest women who are pregnant, may become pregnant, or lactating should consider taking a multivitamin. A product providing basic nutritional needs—especially proper amounts of folic acid and iron—are key for supporting a healthy pregnancy.
In recent years, researchers have paid closer attention to how omega-3 fatty acids, particularly DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), play a role in supporting both maternal and fetal health. DHA makes up part of the cell membranes in neural and retinal tissue. One of the two critical periods for acquiring omega-3 fatty acids is during fetal development in the womb (the second is after birth until the brain and retina have fully developed). Research in humans has shown that pregnant women who were given fish oil or sardines had higher DHA concentrations in maternal plasma, red blood cells, and cord blood plasma at time of birth than those not administered these essential fats. Choline is another nutrient that is very important for pregnant women, yet difficult to obtain in the diet. Like folic acid, choline is key for brain and nervous system development in the fetus and infant. Research shows that high amounts of choline are transferred from the mother to the fetus, and later, to the breastfed baby, which may deplete the mother’s choline stores if her diet is low. The Institute of Medicine’s Dietary Reference Intakes for pregnant women are 450 mg choline per day (550 mg per day for lactating women). Our Prenatal with DHA provides 50 mg DHA and 150 mg choline per serving of three vegetarian tablets.
- Contains proper nutrient amounts tailored to women of childbearing age that reflects current science-based recommendations
- Carefully chosen formula uses only beta-carotene as the source of vitamin A
- Unique to other prenatal multivitamins in that it has significant amounts of DHA and choline
- Contains essential nutrients beneficial to women, pregnant or premenopausal
- Each lot is tested for proper disintegration in the stomach
- Does not contain fish allergen often found in other prenatal multis
- Suggested Use: Take three tablets daily, divided among meals.
- Pair with a calcium supplement to meet the full recommended intake
- CONTAINS NO artificial colors, flavors or preservatives; no wheat, gluten, eggs, peanuts, sesame, tree nuts, crustacean shellfish or fish