Methyl B-12 5000 mcg Lozenge (Item #203)
Methylcobalamin or vitamin B-12, is required for many critical functions in the body. It is a cofactor for the activation of two key enzymes in the body, which play essential roles in folate metabolism and energy metabolism.
Vitamin B-12 is essential for maintaining healthy brain function and assists in the production of neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, melatonin, dopamine, epinephrine and norepinephrine.
We cannot make B-12 our own and depend on dietary intake or supplements to maintain normal levels. There are 4 different forms of vitamin B-12 that can be found in foods and supplements. These forms must be converted into methlycobalamin to be useful to the body; this conversion can become problematic for those with an MTHFR gene mutation. Taking methylcobalamin is desirable for those who have this MTHFR mutation, which is estimated to be about 30% of the population.
Vitamin B-12 is solely found in animal foods so low levels can be a risk for vegans and vegetarians. Also, the absorption of B-12 is a highly complex process with many opportunities for error, which makes it easier for people to have suboptimal levels.
- Each high potency lozenge provides 5,000 mcg of methylcobalamin
- Sweetened only with xylitol
- In a base of fruit powders and extracts; delicious wild berry flavor
- B-12 works with other B vitamins to help make healthy red blood cells and manage healthy blood levels of homocysteine
- B-12 plays a role in DNA synthesis and repair, neurological and cardiovascular health